Situation Critical: How to Aid Your Dog in Surviving a Poisoning

A dog can be poisoned by numerous toxins, plants, chemicals, and foods. Common sources of canine poisoning include the bathroom cupboard, the backyard, bad food consumed on a walk, and human food stolen from the kitchen counter or spilled from the dining room table. Here’s everything you need to know to take quick action to save your dog’s life, regardless of the toxin or origin.

Determine the Poison

If your dog appears healthy, you should attempt to determine the toxin he was exposed to and how he was exposed so you can provide as much information as possible to his veterinarian. However, if your dog appears ill and/or you are unsure of how long ago the exposure occurred, seek treatment as quickly as possible to prevent increasing sickness. Numerous toxin exposures can be averted with early intervention, particularly if the toxin is eliminated before too much time has elapsed. Your veterinarian or canine orthopedic surgeon may determine which toxin was consumed based on the physical examination and laboratory results.


Suppose you or a family member have the time to attempt to ascertain whether the exposure was oral, inhalational, or through touch. Was this plant hazardous? Was it possible that the food was poisonous? Is it possible that your dog has contact with another animal, such as a toad? Was it a toxic substance or a human medication? Determine how much toxicity your dog ingested, breathed, or was exposed to. Obtain the toxin’s original container.

Seek Professional Assistance

You should seek veterinary guidance even if your dog’s behavior is normal by visiting their urgent care page. It may be too late if you wait until your dog is sick to seek veterinary care. Never give your dog a home cure or other treatment without speaking with a veterinarian.


Make an appointment with your family’s veterinarian if their office is open. Contact a local veterinary emergency clinic if the poisoning occurs after hours. A veterinarian can advise you on the best course of action. Depending on the exposure to a poison, the appropriate response will vary.

Prepare for an Emergency

Keep your dog’s medical documents, including immunization history, current prescriptions, food and drug allergies, identification, and other essential things, in an easily accessible area if you need to visit a new veterinary facility. In addition, ensure that your dog wears a collar with an ID tag or has a leash near the entrance so that it can be quickly collected on the way out.


Even if you do not suspect poisoning, you should call a veterinary facility if your dog displays symptoms of illness. It may take several hours or days for toxic effects to manifest. Signs may be obscure, such as lethargy or loss of appetite. Symptoms of toxicity can sometimes be severe, including convulsions, collapse, and breathing difficulties which hopefully will not lead to pet hospice care.

Prevention Is Better Than Cure

Do everything necessary to prevent being exposed to poisons in the first place. Keep potentially hazardous objects, such as trash, out of your dog’s reach. Use pet-safe items wherever possible in your house and yard. While cooking, care should be taken not to drop potentially dangerous foods. Choose houseplants and flowers that are pet-friendly. The most efficient method of dog protection is prevention. Nevertheless, despite your precautions, toxicities can still develop. If your dog has been exposed, you can now access helpful information and tools.